October 22, 2007

Kim's news



Kim went to school for homecoming week dressed as this great fictional character. Can you name the character? By the way, her dear old Dad made the sword out of a dowel rod and a plastic plant coaster.

Kim is a sophomore at Bishop Dwenger in Fort Wayne and a member of their marching band. Again, taking after her dear old Dad. The marching band won a Gold medal at the Indiana regional marching band competition in Lafayette, IN last week. However, their score was not high enough to beat out all of the other bands and they did not get a spot to go to state competition. There was only five spots out of 15 bands if I remember the count right. Her band did beat out half of the bands in the competition.

Kim surprised me this last sunday when her band director announced at a band concert that Kim has been chosen to participate in the Fort Wayne Regional Concert Band. She will be playing with other kids from other schools in the area.

Dave(Kim's dear old Dad)son of John, son of H.Ray

4 comments:

Tom W son of Robert said...

Well, it looks like Zoro to me. As to the marching band, you did not describe her instrument. I'm assuming drums, but I'm certain she doesn't march with the whole set. Were you also a drummer?

As for the concert band, is it drums again? Any why would you be surprised? Kim works hard and she is good at what she does.

Coleen W/gd H.Ray/d John R. said...

Kim does play the drums and any other instrument in the pit. She is one of few that can read music. Many times, she is on the marimba. Dave and Steve both played the Alto Sax.

Dave Walker said...

The character is Zorro. She didn't tell me that she had applied for the band. It's a pretty big honor to be chosen and I'm very proud of her for doing that. In the marching band, she plays the marimba. In concert band, she plays all of the percussion equipment like marimba, cymbols, chimes, bells and whatever else thay need her to play. She just auditioned for the Jazz Band and will be playing the piano.

Dave Walker said...

You spelled Zorro wrong!!!!!!!!!! I am a all around percussionist. I am more of a keyboard instrument player now. I absolutely love the marimba. I have many main parts with my marimba at school. I also play xylo, bell, chimes, crotales, cymbols, auxilary percussion, really big into PIANO! Yes, I still play the drums, but I have not played them in a long time, because no one can beat me when it comes down to mallets!!!!