October 12, 2007

Memories

This is a silly thing to remember, but once when I was probably about 6 or 8, Uncle Johnny and Aunt Pat came over on one of their frequent visits.  I was playing in the yard with my sister, Susie and some of the neighbor kids. We had a blanket, taking turns "Tossing" each other up in the air.  Uncle Johnny and Aunt Pat got in on the act,,,,it was the most fun, being thrown in the air!!!  We played for a long time!  It reminded me of my Dad (after having trussed me up tight in a life jacket that cut off the circulation to my body) and after much begging by me, would pick me up and throw me in the water off the boat or the pier at Oakwood!!! (Lake Wawasee for those who don't know).  Over and over until I was a sunburned, little drowned rat and my mother (Yvonne) would get mad at both of us, HA! 
 
Another memory, you may not be aware of, is Uncle Ed worked with Garfield for many years. I think mostly because the brothers liked being together.  He would come over, probably after working his job at Sears, and on Saturdays and run the "Hot stamp Machine" which is what printed the ribbons.  The "ribbons" were part of what Garfield sold in his Advertising business.  They were ordered by schools, 4-H, Horse shows, swimming shows, etc.  I can still see Uncle Ed standing hour after hour at the machine, just doing his work, not talking a lot, not bothering anyone, just very peaceful and hard-working!  Many years later, Uncle Ed told me that when Garfield worked at the Post Office, (early in life before the advertising business), that he drove a mail truck. Garfield was building a house at the time and used to pick up Ed in the mail truck to take him home to help! 
 
Barb Winger/D.Garfield/GrD.HRay

3 comments:

Howard and Chris s/ H. Ray said...

Does anyone remember the old FORD mail trucks? I drove one a couple summers during college.

One day while bennding over in my seat to see the address on a house, and not watching out what was ahead, I drove the truck over the curb right up in someone's yard.

The truck bounced so hard that all my carefully sorted mail was all over the floor and some even fell out the door.

Another time I was driving along looking for a certain address and drove the truck right into an overhanging tree limb. This was another jolt, my mail went all over, and my head barely escaped going through the windshield.

For some reason, my boss at the post office did not look kindly upon either those events.

Tom W son of Robert said...

You were driving a mail truck during summer while in college??? Me, I was picking hops with the migrant workers out in the 100 degree hot sun. Then for 2 summers I worked in a bleach factory. I had a very strong incentive to do well in college.

Are you sure you grew up poor Howard???

Coleen W/gd H.Ray/d John R. said...

I worked at Belmonts Variety Store. One of the last old fashioned dime stores of its time. It put me thought college that and college loans. Then I went into the Army to pay for it all. Each year that I was active duty, the Army would pay a third of my school loans. I was active duty for 3 years. It was a different story when I got my master's. I will paying on those loans for many many years. I have some hope of some of the loans being forgiven. There is a program with the federal government if you teach in a school that is considered poor for five years, then some of your loans will be forgiven. I have one more year to do this and then I can apply for the program. Lets hope it works for me.

Coleen